Eerie - What Pinoy Horror Cinema Needs


Warning: This review contains detailed spoilers for certain parts of the movie! 

Eerie is now on Netflix! I wanted to watch this in the cinemas when it came out but never got around to it. It turned out to be one of the best Filipino horror films I've ever seen and I regret not giving it my money. 

The movie is set in the all-girls Catholic school of Sta. Lucia Academy. Bea Alonzo plays Pat Consolacion, a guidance counselor who has the ability to communicate with the departed souls of students who committed suicide within the walls of Sta. Lucia. Pat is desperate to prevent any more deaths and she believes the key lies with a girl whose soul has remained trapped in the school for decades. 


The lack of modern technology and the prominent use of tape recorders gave a strong 90’s feel. I thought that was the perfect time period given the subject matter.

Online reviews I’ve read from fellow Filipinos voice a lot of discontent for the movie. Too many jump scares, unoriginal plot, not scary, boring… sentiments I don’t share. 

I've accepted a long time ago that Filipinos have a certain style when it comes to this genre that isn't as frightening as its foreign counterparts. Mostly due to their tendency to spoon-feed viewers, not leaving anything to the imagination. While Eerie probably won't make you piss your pants, it does a lot of things much, much better than your average Pinoy horror film. 


The most impressive thing about Eerie is how it got the atmosphere down pat. (Pun intended.) If you’re a fan of subtle horror and its characteristic slow pace, then this will be a treat. Sure, there are a couple of jump scares but not enough to be annoying. The film relies more on its excellent cinematography to get its unsettling vibe across. 

Depression, isolation and otherness were big themes in the film. A subdued soundtrack and the use of muted colors got these emotions across very well. The slow, composed way each character delivered their lines was also very haunting. Mother Alice (Charo Santos) gave a great performance and even those with limited screen-time such as Julian Castro (Jake Cuenca) and Joyce (Gabby Padilla) did well and had wonderful chemistry with our heroine. 


As someone who enjoys and seeks out horror movies, I no longer place too much weight on originality. In the end, it's not as important to me as the execution. Eerie’s plot may be predictable, but the way the story unraveled still held my attention. And as far as scary scenes go, there are a good number of them that will keep you on the edge of your seat. A nun (Mother Alice) running along the corridor before appearing behind Pat to pull at a dying girl’s noose was definitely the most chilling to me. Brrr. I’m getting goosebumps just remembering it. 

That said, it isn’t perfect. Eri's ghost make-up could've used a bit more work. It's not as bad as other Pinoy ghosts which look downright laughable but still— it could've been better. 

I definitely wish the poster looked different. At first glance it looks like a The Nun rip-off. I understand the marketing team likely WANTED to ride on the coattails of The Nun hype, but it seems like a poor call to me. 


What makes Eerie a masterpiece is its layers. The real horror lies in the tragic narrative about mental illness, discrimination and the deeply damaging effects of blindly following religious dogma. Knowing that Pat’s motivations are so genuine, it's heartbreaking to see her efforts weren't enough to save her life. Her character is a big reason I remained invested in the story. 

All in all, I give this an almost-perfect score. Here’s to hoping Mikhail Red makes more movies like this! 



Dudi

I like movies with a reasonable amount of cheese and there's always a special place in my heart for bizarre films.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post