Album Top Picks : When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

So as of this writing, I have lost count on how many times I've listened to the debut studio album of Billie Eilish. I have just started listening to it yesterday, and I'm like: 'Okay, after three repeats I'll list down my faves, then write an article.' But now (second day), I unconsciously played the album several times. I think I was hypnotized by her, well in a great way, definitely.

Before I list down my top tracks, I would like first to thank Britney Spears. Where did that come from you ask? Well, you see I'm no longer the type of person who's always updated on the latest buzz about new songs or artists. So it'll either take a long time (which could take years), or some source (shows, movies, sites I frequently visit) for me to discover something new. And since I'm a fan of Brit, I sometimes visit one of her fan sites. And one time when I did, I read an article regarding her doing a freestyle dance to Billie's smash hit 'bad guy.' And when I played the video, I literally can't stop bopping my head. I kept replaying her Instagram post, then it hit me 'Why don't I just listen to the full track on YouTube?' And that's how I discovered this amazingly talented, new artist.

Now about the album, just reading its title, you will instantly sense it's not something ordinary. Eilish mentioned it's inspired by lucid dreaming and night terrors, which I really found fascinating. Most young artists would be inspired by teen love and make an album out of it to appeal to a younger audience (no shade here), not saying there were no love-related songs to the album or even on her EP, but Billie just tackled the subject more deeply. And most importantly, this wasn't a one theme/genre only type of album. There's a bunch of serious matters explored and exposed through a more mature sound. And that's what set her apart from the rest of her age group.

The album can also make you feel you're diving into some sort of dreamscape. At first, it's like you're just listening to indie-pop songs with a touch of hip hop, but as you listen more to the succeeding tracks, you can just close your eyes and make the music take you somewhere else. Well, that's how it went for me. Below are the seven songs which took me from my room to some dimension I don't know:

7. you should see me in a crown


This is the song you listen to if you want to feel shutting people down and make their jaws drop because of your dominant presence.

Favorite lines: Tell me which one is worse // Living or dying first

6. wish you were gay


So this is for all the girls, who had a huge crush on men who don't even try to mingle with them because that guy knows he needs to not make any form of attachment to women because he's not sexually and romantically attracted to them.

Fun Fact: Billie has shared that the guy she wrote this for, has told her he was in fact gay.

Favorites lines: Don't say I'm not your type // Just say that I'm not your preferred sexual orientation

5. COME OUT & PLAY


For all the introverts out there or anyone who has something positive to share to the world but lack the guts to do so! Please listen to this song, and hopefully be inspired by it. (XOXO!)

Favorites lines: Leave home, feel the wind blow // 'Cause it's colder here inside in silence

4. i love you


Based on my research, this is a personal song written by Ellie about not providing a proper reply to someone who had told her that he loved her. This could either be a way of telling him that he also loves him back, it's just that she wasn't emotionally ready at the moment he confessed, or she also loves him, but not as much as he did.

Favorites lines: The smile that you gave me // Even when you felt like dying

3. bad guy


I guess this was the ultimate record that cemented her as a force to be reckoned with in the music industry. Totally modern and remarkable.

Favorites lines: If she reads all the lyrics // She'll pity the men I know

2. xanny


Diggin' this a lot because of the message. I myself wonder why some people rely on something unhealthy just to feel happiness.

Favorites lines: Better off without them // They're nothing but unstable

1. ilomilo


Definitely not one of those tracks where she showed her vocal prowess, but this was for me the most entrancing song in the album. The production's really unique (makes me dance!) and the meaning was actually aww-worthy, regardless of the somehow sad lyrics.

Favorites lines: Remember not to get too close to stars // They're never gonna give you love like ours

So those were my picks for this incredible album. How 'bout yours?

I have a feeling this will be included on each Year-End Best of Albums list, so congratulations in advance to Ms. Eilish!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post