Music Rec Mondays: More Punk Rock OPM Please!

Discovering a new band or musician with music that suits your taste is such a simple yet unmatched joy. In the current landscape of the internet and media, it’s somewhat easier to hear about foreign artists than local ones. I, myself, don’t know as many OPM artists as I would like. It’s a pity since OPM is so much more than what is considered mainstream and a lot of bands don’t get as much recognition as they deserve. So allow us to help you spice up your OPM playlist with these recommendations:



Flying Ipis

Straight from their Facebook their ‘About’ section says they are “an all-girl, garage punk rock quartet hailing from Manila, Philippines.” They are composed of Deng Garcia on vocals/guitars, Ymi Castel on guitars, Tanya Singh on bass, and Gaki Azurin on drums.

I first heard their music in SoundCloud a few years ago but they are now also on Spotify. I really dig their style! It’s definitely not the kind of OPM you usually hear. Plus, how cool is a Pinoy all girl punk rock band?!

Favorite tracks: Sssikreto, Past is past, bitch!
Favorite thing about them: Distinct, badass style that truly makes them stand out. I love how they mix English and Tagalog in their lyrics as well.



Snakefight

Like I mentioned, I don’t know a lot of OPM artists. I know even LESS who fall into my favorite genre: metal and punk rock. So one day I asked a friend of mine on Twitter who is more knowledgeable in the local music scene, “Hey do you know any recent OPM bands who play rock and who possibly have some harsh screaming vocals?”  They recommended Snakefight to me and I was sold on the first song alone.

Snakefight’s members are: Christian Tomacruz on vocals, Ron Dela Cruz and Luigi Tuazon on guitars, Dowell Delos Reyes on bass and Miko Amago on drums. Their band is currently on break (hopefully not disbanded for good!), but while we're waiting for them to make new stuff, give their tracks a listen on Spotify!

Favorite tracks: Night and Day (Learning Changes), Circles
Favorite thing about them: Christian Tomacruz's intense, impassioned vocals are -chefs kisses-  beautiful.



Dudi

I like movies with a reasonable amount of cheese and there's always a special place in my heart for bizarre films.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post