Album Top Picks: Ghosts

There was a time when I wondered what happened to the first member of Sugababes who left the group. I did some research and found out she has made a couple of albums, with the second one being the most critically acclaimed, but not being commercially successful. I gave it a listen, and after it finished playing, I remember telling myself: 'That was beyond amazing. Why didn't it become popular? This could have won a Grammy if it was released in the United States! (or nominated at least)'

Ghosts was the title of Siobhan Donaghy's sophomore album. It was released on June 25, 2007, and peaked at #92 on the UK Albums Chart. According to Wikipedia, there was a manufacturing error on the week it was released that's why it didn't perform well. That was really unfortunate, but, you know who had it worse? The people who weren't able to listen to this hidden gem.

So now after a dozen of years since its debut, if you still haven't heard the album, I'll share my top five tracks from it, and you decide whether it deserved its high rating from critics or not.

5. So You Say



Favorites lines: So you say I can be afraid // But I know I would have strayed // I sit and miss you so, a batch of alcohol ceases to control

4. Sometimes



Favorites lines: I act like it's cool // That it's not going too fast // But deep down I'm shaking // Really want this to last

3. 12 Bar Acid Blues



Favorites lines: I should have heeded my father's saying // Cause things did go wrong // When I tried to run than face it head-on

2. Coming Up For Air



Favorites lines: It's not a question of faith // It's not a question of hope // I'm getting out of this place // I'm coming up for air to work it out

1. Goldfish



Favorites lines: She will fight it out // 'Til her strength gives out // Should she flow like a goldfish in a bowl // She doesn't see it out her solitary world

So what did you think? Is it a thumbs up or thumbs down? :)

If you know other albums where not a single track is a filler, kindly share them so that I could listen to them as well. Thank you!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post